Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Fayetteville Farmers Market: Meet PQ!

Come on down and see the Pie Queen in action at the Fayetteville Farmers' Market this Saturday, June 24th. I'll be all decked out in my new flowered apron from K.'s mom (so sweet!), demonstrating how to make Summer Blueberry Shortcake with Honey Cream & Fresh Blueberry Preserves. And they've promised a toaster oven onsite, so those biscuits will be fresh baked! Mmmm, mmmm. Not quite sure where in the market I'll be, but probably near (or at) the stand for Drippings Springs blueberry farm.

I'll be making a more savory breakfast offering at the Eureka Springs farmers market in the Pine Mountain Village parking lot on Thursday, June 29th, at 8:30am--Zucchini and Herb Frittata with a Farmer's Salad with Fresh Raspberry Vinaigrette. Marty of Raspberry Ridge farm has promised to provide eggs from her hens and raspberries from the farm. Alas, I didn't get any raspberries today, since they were all gone by the time I showed up. Did get 4 pints of gooseberries, though--we'll see what I can do with them! I wish I had British food expert Jane Grigson's fruit book on hand, though, as these are a quintessential English fruit.

What else? Opera at the Ozarks--kind of a summer camp for young aspiring opera singers--opens on Friday with La Traviata; tomorrow I'm going for a tour of the War Eagle grist mill, source of fantastic stone-ground organic cornmeal and other grains. And then Friday, out to Dripping Springs to pick blueberries for the demo the following day. Just berry-filled fun around here...and yes, more writing!

2 comments:

joe cupcake said...

oh gooseberries. yum. though yeah, they are a pain. viva la underappreciated fruits.

really though i just wanted to thank you for using the word "grist" in a literal sense.. i don't think i've ever heard it outside the "more grist for the mill" thing, metaphorically and gee it made me happy to think of real life grist being milled.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I could see you in your fully aproned, blueberry-honeyed glory. And we did say we wanted to see operas together -- you'll have to let me know if they sing differently in the Ozarks.