Monday, June 13, 2005

All Nutella, All the Time

This just in, from my pastry-chef pal in Paris, David Lebovitz.

"If you happen to be in Paris before June 22nd, I urge you to
stop by La Table Nutella, a temporary restaurant set up to
celebrate 40 years of Nutella! The restaurant is only open for
40 days, monday through friday, 7:30am to 11:30am, and
saturday 8 to 3pm. With the throngs of people lining up
you should get there early if you want to get in.
Recently I had a 2-hour breakfast, completely
with Nutella croissants, Nutella and Apple Crisp, and Nutella
Brownies (yes, for breakfast). All proceeds are going to charity."


And more drool-worthy descriptions over at Moveable Feast.

La Table Nutella: 46, rue de Sevigne, Paris, 4th Arr.

Oh, Nutella, how I love it! I must say, though, that the Italians have it all over the Parisians in this department. When we lived in Bologna, our apartment was right around the corner from the bright-red Nutelleria caffe. Everything there came with Nutella on it--croissants (or rather the leathery pastries that passed as croissants there), piadina, gelato, rolls--there was even Nutella pizza.

If you poke around in some gourmet and/or upscale health food stores, you can sometimes find all-natural chocolate-hazelnut spreads that are even more delicious and not so full of corn syrup and other junk.

Lebovitz will also be leading a chocolate tasting at the American
Library in Paris this Thursday, June 16th, with selections from Michel
Cluizel, one of the world's best chocolate manufacturers. Cluizel's chocolates are dreamy, and Lebovitz is a very funny, very informative speaker, so check it out if you're lucky enough to be in Paris this week.

OK, that's it for now because I'm in deadline hell for actual paying work. More soon, including a fabulous blueberry lemon tart recipe that was the hit of my aunt's 70th birthday party.

Music for typing in front of the fan

1. White Stripes, "My Doorbell"
I'm thinking about my doorbell, when you gonna ring it, when you gonna ring it...Funky bounce from the snappy Jack White, off their new album Get Behind Me Satan
2. Magnetic Fields and Belle & Sebastian, "Sunset City"
3. White Stripes, "Blue Orchid"
Snarly bump and grind from Jack and Meg. If I were a stripper with a motorcycle and lots of tattoos, I'd dance to this. And you'd pay up and like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie: I bet you miss Italy and all that Nutella. You would LOVE the Nutella café here in the Marais (although being French, it took them a while to figure out how to run it...and it's only open for 40 days.)
I had amazing gianduja in Italy: I bought back lots of jars. Come visit! xx David